New “Champion” Crowned at Star Spelling Bee
Addison Champion of Springmore Elementary is the winner of the 2018 Star Spelling Bee. After seven rounds of competition, Champion spelled folksiness to win the final round and ductile for good measure as the championship word.
“I am excited,” said Champion. “I get to go to Washington, D.C.!”
Twelve contestants spelled their way through the first round with words such as access, renovate, and chipotle. After several more rounds, the spellers were narrowed down to Christina Maxwell of Burns Middle, Na'Asha McClendon of Crest Middle, and Addison Champion of Springmore Elementary.
The audience was completely spellbound as the Bee progressed with a stint of spellings that include cosmos, geoponics, and a taste of anchovy, and salami.
“It is a pleasure to watch these young folks and the excitement they bring to the Bee,” said Dr. Brian Hunnell, assistant superintendent of curriculum and instruction. “This was truly a special day and a lot of fun.”
To recognize their achievement, all participants in the bee received prizes from The Star’s Newspaper in Education program and a Martha Mason Award from the CCS Educational Foundation. The Mason Award includes a $50 cash prize and was initiated by Yeeva Cheng, a three-time Star Spelling bee winner herself, to recognize Miss Mason’s determination and perseverance.
Other participants, all spelling champions from their schools, were:
- Jacob Baker of Bethware Elementary
- Bradley Humphries of Boiling Springs Elementary
- Christina Maxwell of Burns Middle
- Avery Wilson of Casar Elementary
- Na’Asha McClendon of Crest Middle
- Phylicia Eubanks of East Elementary
- Johnny Hames of Fallston Elementary
- Leonya Thurman of Graham Elementary
- Nora Bridges of Grover Elementary
- Demetrist Roberts of James Love Elementary
- Annalise Bradley of Jefferson Elementary
- Melissa Brooks of Kings Mountain Intermediate
- Makaylah Griffin of Kings Mountain Middle
- Jagger Endicott of Marion Elementary
- Macy Wilson of North Elementary
- Campbell Merritt of Shelby Intermediate
- Sasha Tribble of Shelby Middle
- Brianna Bumgardner of Township Three Elementary
- Tucker Brack of Union Elementary
- Ashlyn Wright of Washington Elementary
- Sam Bryson of West Elementary
Do you think you have what it takes to win a spelling bee? Click here to find out.